Last Updated on
It can be tough to find the time to work out. For many busy professionals and parents, there just isn’t enough hours in the day to work, care for the kids, run errands, and fit in a workout. Gym trips are the first thing to go when the schedule is too full.
But a home gym setup may be the ideal alternative for those struggling to fit in a workout. You can work out in the comfort of your home at any time of the day, without the need to commute to and from the gym or wait in lines. Best of all, there are no monthly gym memberships—just a one-time fee for the equipment.
A treadmill is a must-have for a proper home gym. Below, we’ll take a look at a decent option, one that blends a reasonable price tag with a flexible design and wide availability: the Proform ZT4 Treadmill.
About the Proform ZT4 Treadmill
The Proform ZT4 Treadmill isn’t as large or bulky as a gym treadmill, as it’s designed for at-home use. You’ll find its dimensions (80″ L x 37″ W x 60″ H) make it a perfect size for most garages or gym rooms. It’s intended to be user-friendly, easy to set up the treadmill that’s ready to use right out of the box. When you’re done working out, you can simply fold up the treadmill and stow it in a closet or against a wall. Definitely a space-saving piece of equipment!
The treadmill comes with built-in workouts, all of which were designed by certified personal trainers. You can choose from the multiple workouts depending on your goals (fat burning, cardio, HIIT, etc.). The treadmill comes with a slot for a water bottle, phone, tablet, and even a plug for your iPod and headphones.
- 2.75 HP motor
- Weight limit: 300 pounds
- Dimensions: 67.2 x 30 x 11.2 inches
- Product weight: 160 pounds
- ProShox cushioning
- Running area: 50″ x 18″
- Speeds: 0 to 10 MPH
- Price: $540
This is a treadmill designed for the “average” home user. The 50 x 18-inch running platform is ideal for most people, though those with a very long or wide stride may have a hard time. The weight limit of 300 pounds can handle most users. Unless you’re very heavy or tall, this treadmill is great for you.
The handles come with a built-in EKG heart monitor, and the LCD screen will display the results of your workout. The LCD screen also gives you a way to control your music and adjust the intensity, speed, and incline of the workout. You can run up to 10 MPH and set the incline up to 10%.
The ProShox Cushioning built into the running platform will reduce the wear and tear on your joints as you run. You’ll find it’s one of the most comfortable treadmills you’ll use, thanks to the sturdy running platform. There’s even a built-in fan to keep you cool on those hot days. Plus, the treadmill comes with a 5-year warranty to guarantee many hours of happy running!
Pros of the Proform ZT4 Treadmill
Here are some of the things users love about the Proform ZT4 Treadmill:
- Beautifully easy to set up – This is a treadmill designed to be easy to use right out of the box. Assembly time is roughly 60 to 90 minutes, but the instructions are clear and very few tools are required. You’ll find that the console’s built-in workouts make it easy for you to start running right away.
- Comfortable run – Thanks to the ProShox cushioning built into the running platform, this treadmill makes for a very comfortable run. There is far less impact on your joints than there would be running on hard-packed earth or concrete sidewalks.
- Easy to use – Thanks to the integrated workout programs, you can get started with your programmed run in a matter of seconds. You have various choices of workouts, depending on your goals (fitness, improved cardiovascular endurance, weight loss, fat burning, etc.). The interface is easy to use and the options simple to navigate.
- Affordable – Compare this to many other treadmills, and you’ll find the price tag a very reasonable one. It’s not the cheapest treadmill on the market, but the quality is worth the investment.
Cons of the Proform ZT4 Treadmill
As with any product, there are a few downsides of the Proform ZT4 Treadmill:
- Shaking – When you run, the console and handles have a tendency to shake/vibrate. This is especially true if you are a heavier runner. Anything you have sitting on the console (tablet or smartphone) will rattle around, and may even fall off.
- Fan ineffective – The built-in fan is intended to keep you cool on the hot days, but multiple users report that they felt nothing even when the fan was running at high speeds.
- Uses a lot of power – More than one user has commented on the amount of power consumed by this treadmill. Some have gone as far as changing out their breakers to keep up with the high power usage of the machine.
- Quality control issues – A few users have complained that their treadmill arrived defective, or it simply wouldn’t start when they turned it on.
Other Options to Consider
Not sure the Proform ZT4 Treadmill is the perfect treadmill for you? Here are a few alternatives to consider:
Weslo Cadence G 5.9 Treadmill
This treadmill is another compact, foldable model, meaning it’s a great space-saver like the Proform TZ4. The price tag, however, is significantly lower—close to 50% of the Proform model. It comes with six pre-set workouts, though it doesn’t have the same customizability as the Proform treadmill. The running platform isn’t quite as cushioned as the TZ4. Still, for the price, it’s a good alternative to consider.
ProForm 505 CST Treadmill
This model is slightly cheaper than the TZ4, but it has a higher weight capacity (25 pounds more) and all the same integrated features (courtesy of the ProForm software). It’s a larger model, though, so it will occupy more space in your garage or your home gym room. However, it comes with 18 workouts and the same built-in heart rate monitor. All in all, it’s a pretty reasonable option.
LifeSpan TR1200i Folding Treadmill
If you’re willing to pay a higher price for higher quality, this LifeSpan folding treadmill is one of the top-rated treadmills on Amazon. It has a wider and longer running platform than the ProForm model, making it ideal for taller runners. It comes with multiple built-in running programs, a heart rate monitor, and tracking software to help you monitor your run performance. However, it costs close to twice as much as the ProForm TZ4.
For the price, the ProForm TZ4 Treadmill is one of the best you’ll find. Not only is it easy to set up, but it comes with a broad range of options for a fully customizable workout. No matter what your fitness goals, the treadmill will help you find a program that works for you. It’s one of the most comfortable runs on the market, and it’s designed for your ease of use in mind. Definitely a choice worth considering if you want a treadmill for use in your home gym!