Finding a good and accurate health app could really help you create a healthier lifestyle. Fitness apps have gained a lot of popularity because they truly work in supporting people to lose weight, eat healthy foods, and achieve their body goals.
In the following sections, I will detail plenty of useful aspects of two well-known weight-loss apps: Noom Coach and MyFitnessPal. They both come with their own perks and downsides so, read on if you want to find all these insights.
- 1 Main Differences between Noom Coach and MyFitnessPal
- 2 Noom Coach vs MyFitnessPal – What Are They?
- 3 Noom Coach
- 4 MyFitnessPal
- 5 Noom Coach vs MyFitnessPal – Pros and Cons
- 6 Noom Coach vs MyFitnessPal – Main Features Comparison
- 7 Noom Coach vs MyFitnessPal – Pricing Options
- 8 Noom Coach vs MyFitnessPal – Main Alternatives
- 9 Noom Coach vs MyFitnessPal – Frequently Asked Questions
- 10 Noom Coach vs MyFitnessPal – the Final Verdict
Main Differences between Noom Coach and MyFitnessPal
The Main Differences between Noom Coach and MyFitnessPal are:
- Noom Coach is more reliable and accurate when it comes to counting calories, whereas MyFitnessPal provides a lower accuracy level;
- Noom Coach offers a free trial period of two weeks for its Premium version, whereas MyFitnessPal doesn’t have that advantage;
- MyFitnessPal might be easier and quicker to use due to its barcode scanning feature, whereas on Noom Coach, you must log in the food on your own or pick it from a pre-edited list;
- MyFitnessPal is more affordable and has a lower monthly fee, whereas Noom Coach costs more.
Noom Coach vs MyFitnessPal – What Are They?
Let’s start today’s article by discovering what Noom Coach and MyFitnessPal are.
This is a popular smartphone application that has a built-in dietary advice service. Noom Coach is so well-known that if you search for a calorie counter on your smartphone, you will most likely see its name among the first few apps on the list.
Noom is not just another weight-loss app that helps you keep track of how many calories you’ve consumed. According to those who created it, their main purpose was to help users return to simpler and healthier eating habits by making healthy living easy and accessible.
On Android devices, more than 10 million people have downloaded this app and most users are happy with how the software works because it’s very easy to insert all the food you’re eating as well as the amounts of each meal. Noom does the math for you by calculating your calorie intake, macros, and minerals.
Through Noom, you can even work directly with a personal coach; a real human being who will create personalized meal plans to suit your nutritional needs. The app also has a community support group but some of these amazing perks might not be available on the free version.
Noom’s Main Features
- A built-in database that offers comprehensive food tracking insights;
- 1-on-1 health coaching provided by Noom’s experts;
- Ongoing access to all the quizzes and articles published by Noom;
- Based on each user’s lifestyle, the app offers customized calorie breakdown;
- Easy logging of many important metrics such as blood pressure, blood sugar, workout, and weight;
- An engaging and supportive community.
MyFitnessPal is another popular weight-loss and lifestyle app that can be downloaded on both iOS and Android devices. With it, you can easily and quickly log your food intake. It helps you eat right and remove all the extra calories that you don’t need.
Many of the app’s features can be accessed in the free version, without needing a subscription but, if you want the full package, you may need to create a membership. This software was downloaded more than 50 million times. It received over two million reviews.
The most appealing feature that this app has is its calorie tracking functionality that has helped many people lose weight. In the app’s database, you will find nutritional values for many different foods (millions, according to the company). The app even allows users to scan their products’ barcodes instead of spending too much time choosing them from a list.
MyFitnessPal was created by certified professionals. On it, you will find out how many calories you consume in a day as well as other macros like nutrients, minerals, vitamins, and more. Members can also benefit from the company’s blog, HelloHealthy, where they can find numerous health tips, tasty recipes, and workout ideas.
MyFitnessPal’s Main Features
- There’s a built-in calorie counter;
- Over 350 exercises that are suitable for all body types and all ages;
- Barcode scanning functionality for a more accurate record keeping;
- Millions of foods and beverages included in the database;
- A strong and supportive community where you can find real-time news feed posts;
- Many comprehensive fitness reports.
Noom Coach vs MyFitnessPal – Pros and Cons
Here are some important pros and cons of each of the two health apps I’m reviewing today.
Noom Coach Pros
- The insights provided by the app are backed by many years of research and science;
- It will help you reach your fitness and health goals;
- The app is very easy to use and intuitive;
- The interface is very user-friendly and the tracking feature is built-in;
- This app will change your life for the better by teaching you some serious healthy habits;
- The database is huge and full of useful information and helpful articles;
- You will receive a personalized eating plan that suits your needs and demographics;
- There’s a free trial period although it is a bit short.
Noom Coach Cons
- It is an expensive service since the monthly membership fee is around $50;
- You will have to prepare most of your meals which is quite time-consuming;
- All the activities, meetings, and coaching are online which might not be totally convenient for some people who prefer in-person discussions.
- The app is quite user-friendly and the interface is robust;
- The food database is huge; it includes more than 3 million food items;
- It allows you to use different measurement types: tablespoons, grams, liters, etc.;
- It’s a convenient app that gives you instant feedback and also offers plenty of flexibility through personal diet profiles.
- The calorie-counting feature isn’t always very accurate and sometimes, it provides underestimated numbers;
- In terms of weight gain or loss predictions, the app is quite inaccurate;
- The items included in the food database are generated by other users which might also trigger certain inaccuracies.
Noom Coach vs MyFitnessPal – Main Features Comparison
Let’s see what app wins the competition for each of the following features.
1. Calorie Tracking
When thinking about a calorie-counting app, you must consider the data accuracy and its integration functionality with another activity tracker. For each food you enter in the app, you should receive the right value in terms of calories and macros.
Many users think that MyFitnessPal isn’t very accurate. Most app users consider Noom Coach to be significantly more reliable compared to its competitor.
Also, Noom can be used on nearly 20 different devices, while MyFitnessPal covers fewer than 10 devices. So, in terms of accuracy and accessibility, Noom is the winner.
2. Free Trial
Both health apps have free trial versions and users can enjoy many features without the need to pay for a subscription. Still, if you want full access to all the advanced features, you will have to purchase a membership and cover a monthly or yearly fee.
Noom is very transparent and lets you know that only the premium version comes with a personal weight-loss coach. Noom provides a short trial period of two weeks so that you can see whether or not Noom Coach works for you. During the trial period, you will only have to pay $1 and cancel if you don’t like it before the deadline expires.
With MyFitnessPal, you don’t have free trials for its Premium program but users can still enjoy the basic version without any costs, whatsoever. In my opinion, Noom wins this battle too, although the trial period seems a bit short to me.
3. User Support
Unfortunately, many health and fitness apps don’t offer enough support to their users and that can be a very annoying issue. The two apps that I am reviewing today have online support services. There, you can ask anything you want to know, from technical problems to billing and more.
On MyFitnessPal, you will also find a forum that seems to be monitored by the app’s staff members. However, don’t expect them to answer your questions right away. In fact, the response times might take a while.
On the other hand, Noom’s responses are published much quicker, within 24 hours. That’s a very important aspect that makes many users happy with the service. So, once more, MyFitnessPal loses a point.
4. Ease of Use
If you’re having trouble keeping track of your weight-loss data or if you lose motivation, you will most likely fail to obtain your fitness and health goals. If the app that you’re using isn’t engaging and it lacks an intuitive interface, you will probably quit using it.
These types of applications should enable users to track everything they eat, main meals and snacks, in just a few seconds without losing too much time. Both Noom and MyFitnessPal claim to offer a large database with millions of food items.
You can include a certain food by searching and adding it to your daily eating program, on your app’s profile. I know that so far, Noom seems to have won all the battles but, in this case, MyFitnessPal stands out more due to its barcode-reading functionality.
All you have to do is scan a product’s barcode by using your smartphone. That’s a pretty amazing feature if you ask me, so, in terms of ease of use, MyFitnessPal wins.
5. Coaching Service
Not all people can afford to cover the expensive fees of dieticians and personal workout coaches. That kind of service could cost up to several hundred dollars per month. But, with an app such as Noom, you could receive all that for a much lower monthly rate.
Noom has amazing 1-on-1 coaching services and users are encouraged to ask questions. The expert will further provide them with personalized meal plans and recipe ideas. Moreover, you will receive plenty of useful tips to make sure you remain focused on the right path.
Unfortunately, MyFitnessPal doesn’t offer any coaching service at the moment in which this review was written. With the risk of repeating myself, Noom wins again.
Noom Coach vs MyFitnessPal – Pricing Options
Here’s how much these two apps cost and their pricing programs.
Achieving your ideal weight shouldn’t be based on how big your budget is. Still, investing in your wellness is a very wise long-term solution for a better and healthier life. It’s a simple equation: if you’re healthy, you will save a lot of money that would otherwise be spent on doctor appointments and medication.
However, many people, despite their effort to have a more balanced lifestyle, deal with tight budgets so, we also need to cover this topic when discussing the two fitness apps reviewed today.
But, we mustn’t look solely at how much these apps cost because the price tag doesn’t tell the entire story. For instance, with your Noom monthly subscription, you will benefit from the services of a personal coach. You won’t get this particular perk with MyFitnessPal.
The monthly fee for the MyFitnessPal app is around $10 but you can also choose to pay an annual fee of $50. At the same time, Noom brings its services to you for a monthly fee of $60 or, if you want to pay the cost per year, it will be $199.
Obviously, if you are willing to commit for a longer time, you will pay less and save more money. Noom is clearly more expensive than MyFitnessPal but it also offers more than just a calorie counter.
So, if you’re someone who takes things from a cost perspective, you will definitely choose MyFitnessPal.
Noom Coach vs MyFitnessPal – Main Alternatives
Fitocracy comes with an engaging community and its user interface is straightforward and simple.
You can gain plenty of accountability by posting your results and progress and allow other users to provide feedback.
The gamification part will keep you motivated because you will unlock new achievements and earn points.
This app combines three major functionalities because it works as a diet planner, healthy lifestyle advisor, and meal planner. It has a beautiful design and high usability.
Lifesum offers a huge database of recipe ideas so that you can eat healthier and enjoy nutritious meals.
Its Premium membership is quite expensive, though, and its creators have eliminated the app’s web version.
Spoonacular amazed its users with its recipe search engine where they can find numerous tasty yet healthy recipes.
Each recipe features its unique nutritional information which is calculated automatically.
There are more than 300,000 different recipes that you can try.
Moreover, this app allows you to create your own meal plans using its recipe options or your own store-bought food products.
Noom Coach vs MyFitnessPal – Frequently Asked Questions
These two apps are competitors so, the answer is no, they will not sync with each other. Nevertheless, Noom syncs with plenty of other fitness, health, and activity-tracking apps. In fact, the creators of Noom list this as one of the app’s most important features.
This app is pretty affordable. Subscribers can either pay a monthly fee of $10 or they can opt for the app’s annual membership that costs $50. Compared to MyFitnessPal, Noom is a significantly more expensive service but it also offers a more complex service.
They are both pretty accurate although Noom seems to work better when it comes to calculating how many calories you have consumed and tracking your overall progress.
Noom Coach vs MyFitnessPal – the Final Verdict
After everything I’ve found out and researched, and after trying both apps myself, I strongly believe that Noom is a much better choice than MyFitnessPal. But quality comes at a higher price.
I think that Noom is worth a try due to all its amazing features that will record all your meals as well as your workouts and steps.
According to the reviews, many users achieved their desired weight-loss goals and, most importantly, they succeeded in maintaining those results afterward.
To conclude with, Noom is a more comprehensive app that’s better at educating its users, whereas MyFitnessPal brings a larger food database.