When gyms are closed and you’re stuck at home, it can be hard to find your motivation to work out on your own, especially if you lack many of the exercising machines you would normally find at the fitness studio. Such a moment could be the ideal one to consider buying a home gym system.
With more and more people becoming interested in working out and fitness-related activities, the creation of total gym machines was an excellent one. It made it possible for all of us to achieve a sculpted and healthy body while training at home.
- 1 The Best Total Gym for Home Use – 7 Main Options
- 2 1. Total Gym XLS
- 3 2. Body Solid GLGS100
- 4 3. Bowflex Xceed
- 5 4. APEX G5 Total Gym Home Fitness Equipment
- 6 5. Powerline BSG10X by Body Solid
- 7 6. Marcy MD-9010G
- 8 7. XRS 55 Gym System by Gold’s Gym
- 9 How to Choose the Best Total Gym for Home Use – Buying Tips
- 10 Best Total Gym for Home Use – Main Benefits
- 11 The Best Total Gym for Home Use – Frequently Asked Questions
- 12 The Best Total Gym for Home Use – Bottom Line
The Best Total Gym for Home Use – 7 Main Options
Total Gym XLS is a universal home fitness machine that also comes with an incline bench dedicated to abdominal crunches. Its design is impressive and sleek. According to the manufacturing company, people of almost all ages can use this system, regardless if they are 8 or 80 years old. It represents the all-in-one home gym system that can be easily used by all the members of your family.
This Total Gym machine has a maximum capacity is approximately 400 lbs. The Total Gym XLS model has a flexible structure that enables you to fold it up and store it away or open it for instant use.
Pros of this Total Gym Model
- When you purchase it, you won’t need any special set up;
- It is easy to use and store due to its foldable structure;
- A wide range of individual can safely use this machine;
- It comes with a useful meal planning guide to help you stay fit and healthy;
- You will be able to perform both strength and cardiovascular workouts that target your lower and upper body;
- You will also receive some interesting accessories like a training deck and a ribbed squat stand;
- It has a 6-month warranty for all its parts and a lifetime warranty for the frame;
- Comes with free basic access to Total Gym workout and Total Gym exercise TV (if you order from TotalGymDirect here).
Cons of this Multi Gym
- It is an expensive home gym;
- A few customers said that the system’s wheels might not be of very good quality;
- It is good for toning but there are better options out there that are specially designed for building muscle and strength training.
Where to Buy the Total Gym XLS
There are a few places I would check for the best deals:
- On Amazon: Amazon frequently has slightly better prices and availability that other online retailers. View the Total Gym XLS listing here.
- On TotalGymDirect: TotalGymDirect can offer seasonal discounts, PLUS they include free access to their workout TV channel and extended warranties. View the TotalGymDirect listing here.
The GLGS100 model from Body-Solid is a compact multi-gym system that comes with a lot of advanced features. Compared to other similar products, this home gym displays a stable and sturdy structure, although it has fewer stations.
If you want, you can also purchase Olympic plates to load the machine with them in order to obtain greater muscle mass and a more intense strength workout. There’s a multi-purpose press arm that you can use to exercise a wide range of muscle groups during numerous different exercise movements like: chest press, overhead presses, heavy squats, squat stand, and more.
Pros of this Gym Equipment
- Strong and durable yet compact – features a space-saving design;
- You will be able to perform a large range of movements like shrugs, presses, squats, and pull-ups.
Cons of this Gym Equipment
- One customer said that the rubber stop that’s placed on the weight-holding bar should be wider because it doesn’t really line up as well as it should.
The Bowflex Xceed home gym offers a maximum capacity of around 410 lbs. but this resistance is upgradable. It is definitely worthy of your consideration, especially if your main goal is to get in shape in the privacy of your own home. All Bowflex home gym systems are effective and high-quality.
This multi-gym system is truly innovative. With it, you will benefit from multiple workout stations, several different attachments, and a versatile pulley mechanism that goes up and down. There’s even a built-in aerobic rower for your cardiovascular exercises.
- It is a great choice for smaller homes due to its compact and sturdy frame;
- With this home gym, you can perform over 65 different movements;
- It is a pretty affordable product compared to other similar home gym machines.
- The machine seems to lose part of its resistance over time;
- Because of how the rods work, you might feel the weightless hard than the company’s claims;
- While it is excellent for upper body workouts, it might not be the ideal choice for lower body exercises.
- Bowflex Blaze vs PR3000: Which is Best for You?
- Best Bowflex Home Gym Guide: Top 8 Picks in 2020
- Bowflex Revolution Home Gym Review 
- Total Gym vs Vigorfit
The APEX 5G model from Total Gym is a wonderful workout machine that meets the standards of high-quality commercial products. Its design is innovative and it has multiple purposes. This device was created with both cardio and resistance training in mind.
One thing that sets this home gym apart from many of the other systems is the fact that you can also use it for stretching your muscles after an intense workout. It is highly versatile and it gives you the chance to challenge yourself due to its 10 resistance levels.
Pros of this Exercise Equipment
- It comes with a lot of great accessories such as stability mats, training deck, dip bar, leg pull accessory, incline bench, exercise and diet manuals, etc.;
- It is an affordable home gym and it has great value for the money;
- There are more than 60 different exercises and workout options you can try;
- The frame is compact and sturdy and it won’t take too much of your space;
- It is easy to assemble – the entire setup process takes less than one hour;
- It is a safe device that suits you regardless of your fitness level.
Cons of this Exercise Equipment
- The maximum weight capacity that this total home gym structure supports is only 250 pounds which isn’t a lot. If it would have been around 300 pounds, that would’ve been great.
Total gym is a highly reputable company and probably one of the best Bowflex alternatives out on the market today. They have a record of selling high-quality gym equipment since 1974 and have certainly improved and maintained their standards to this day.
The BSG10X model created by Body-Solid might be compact but it is very effective and has a straightforward design. This small and sturdy fitness product features a steel frame completed by military-grade aircraft cables. With its help, you will be able to target each muscle group.
There’s also an adjustable pulley system paired with multi-grip pressing arms and a leg developer. All these elements together will enable you to perform rowing variations, shoulder presses, bicep curls, squat stand, and many other movements.
- It is a highly compact home gym;
- The weight stack is made from durable metal;
- The overall frame is resistant and sturdy;
- You won’t need to spend a lot of time or do too many things to assemble it.
- It provides fewer movement options compared to other similar products.
This heavy-duty workout unit is one of the best total gyms for home use. Marcy MD-9010G features several Olympic plate-loaded stations such as a built-in Smith machine, a pulley cable crossover system, and a free-weight squat rack. All of these elements enable users to perform many effective movements.
Besides these characteristics, you will also love the device’s other classic multi-gym features:
- Leg developer;
- Preacher pad;
- Low row station; etc.
This home gym provides good value for the money. It has a compact design and an affordable price.
- It is a durable machine with a sturdy frame that inspires reliability;
- You can work for multiple muscle groups and perform various exercises from multiple angles due to the wide range of available stations;
- The package contains many accessories that you can use;
- It comes with a squat rack that’s both free-weight and fixed.
- The weight plates aren’t included in the package; you must buy them separately;
- It seems that the pec training deck doesn’t provide an optimal range of motion;
- There’s no pull-up bar.
The XRS 55 model from Gold’s Gym can be the ideal home gym machine that allows you to exercise your entire body. It is an excellent choice, especially for beginners who have never used a home gym unit before. The frame is stable and durable while the seat and the attachments are comfortable to use.
There are two types of pulleys featured on this machine: low and high. You will also enjoy many other interesting and useful functions:
- Leg developer;
- Hanging lat bar;
- Preacher curl pad; etc.
For both the device’s labor and parts, you will receive a 3-month warranty.
- It is a pretty affordable home gym system;
- Its design looks good in any setting or home;
- It has a resistance capacity of up to 330 lbs. and it comes with a great weight stack;
- You can develop your arm muscles with the tool’s adjustable preacher pad.
- A few users said that the product’s vinyl weights might feel a tad cheap;
- Some other gym units are sturdier than this one.
How to Choose the Best Total Gym for Home Use – Buying Tips
Deciding on the model of home gym you need for your home isn’t an easy task. There are many elements to keep in mind. First and foremost, you must think about your fitness goals. Secondly, you need to consider your budget as well as the value that the new item will bring. Here are some of the most important factors you should know before purchasing a total gym for home use.
1. Your Fitness Goals
In terms of fitness goals, there are two major objectives that most fitness enthusiasts want to achieve:
- Building muscle – if you want to grow muscle mass, you should pick a home gym system that has either weight plates or weight stacks. These machines allow you to work out with the weight you need to build stronger muscles;
- Losing fat – to tone your body and burn more calories, you can choose whatever home gym model you want although resistance-based ones are better for this type of goal. With them, your exercises will be more effective for losing fat due to their low-weight and high-repetition characteristics.
2. Home Gym Tech – Weight Stacks vs Resistance
- Resistance Style Home Gym
Resistance-based home gyms are the ideal choice for novice users. These devices also work great for individuals who deal with physical limitations due to their system which is easy on the joints. Your muscles won’t have the same level of tear that you would experience when using weight-stack home gyms.
On the other hand, the machine’s bands tend to lose their elasticity over time and you won’t be able to tell whether your body got stronger or the home gym lost resistance.
- Weight-Based Home Gyms
Those home gym mechanisms that come with either plates or stacks allow you to add resistance to your workouts. Most of these devices are used in commercial gym studios. Their main advantage is their durability. Weight-based home gyms don’t wear or tear as quickly as resistance bands.
The main downside is given by the fact that all these types of home gym systems come with a limited amount of weight plates. So, once you outgrow that level, you will need to purchase additional weight stacks.
3. The Number of Available Exercises
Each machine features a certain number of available exercises. This number varies based on how many attachments you can place on the mainframe. Obviously, more expensive home gyms will usually have a higher number of attachments which translates into a wider range of exercises. Still, even basic systems allow you to perform at least 60 different movements.
The most expensive and most complex models enable users to perform more than 200 exercises.
4. Exercise Equipment Weight Capacity
Another essential factor that makes some total home gyms stand out is weight capacity. It is best to choose a product that has a higher weight capacity because this element is proof of the device’s long-lasting lifecycle and sturdiness. As long as your body weight fits nicely within the system’s weight limit, you should be fine.
The lowest weight capacity is situated at around 250 lbs. while the more expensive models allow for up to 650 lbs.
5. Exercise Attachments
The number of attachments you will receive when you purchase a total gym for home use depends on your chosen model. All devices, even standard ones, come with a few attachments so that you can start your exercising routine immediately.
Some of the most popular exercise attachments are squat stand, ab crunch accessory, incline benches, leg pull accessory, and wing attachments. Many total gym packages will also include at least one workout DVD and even a meal plan or a nutritional guide.
6. Home Gym Equipment Price
For a lot of people, price is the most important factor when they make a purchasing decision. The cost of a home gym varies a lot based on the model, its performance level, features, and more. Some of the most affordable systems cost around $200 while the most complex versions can have a price tag or up to $4,000.
The majority of devices cost approximately $1,000.
Best Total Gym for Home Use – Main Benefits
When they’re asked, most people say that the main reason they bought a home gym is that this machine represents a great way to grow muscle mass while also enjoying the comfort and convenience of their own homes. Home gyms help you isolate certain muscle groups through weight lifting and resistance exercises.
These effective products can also help you burn fat, get leaner, and tone your muscles, all of which are important elements of being fit and healthy. Here are some of the essential benefits of a home gym system:
- You will do better and more intense workouts – with a home gym you can easily structure your exercising routine and alternate rep and set schemes. Many seem to believe that when you expose your muscles to diverse stimuli and workout types, you will be able to break fitness plateaus;
- You will benefit from versatility and convenience – these products will easily fit a wide variety of lifestyles. You won’t have any more excuses to skip your daily workouts and you will be able to store and keep your home gym in the basement, garage, or spare room while also customizing the entire setup to suit your goals and needs;
- It saves you money and time – all you will need to complete a good workout will already be at home. With a home gym, you will never have to wait for your turn to use certain workout equipment. Also, you will save money by not having to pay a monthly membership fee anymore;
- You will enjoy more privacy – while some people like to work out surrounded by other individuals, in a social environment, many fitness enthusiasts would rather sweat in the privacy of their own homes. You will exercise on your own terms while listening to your favorite playlist.
The Best Total Gym for Home Use – Frequently Asked Questions
What Features Do Total Home Gyms Have in Common?
Here are some of the elements that most home gyms have in common:
- Pulley systems – regardless of the price tag, all total gyms work on the same pulley principle. They also use your body weight to function. There’s a slide board with an adjustable height setting that allows you to choose your desired resistance;
- No assembly required – most models can be used instantly, right after you take them out of the box, without needing to assemble them. Maybe you will have to adjust the height and place a couple of pins here and there;
- Full body workout – all these products are created to enable full-body workout sessions. You can perform effective strengthening movements to tone your core, arms, and legs;
- Foldable frames – all total home gyms can be easily stored due to their foldable structures. These machines are pretty big and they can occupy plenty of space so, folding them up when you don’t use them is a great idea;
- Lightweight structures – most total gym systems are quite lightweight which is pretty impressive when you think about their complexity and their weight capacities.
Is a Total Home Gym System Worth Buying?
Buying a home gym represents a serious investment in your fitness interest and your healthy lifestyle. Based on the model, brand, and features, this device can cost from around $1,000 to over $4,000. It will help you get fit, tone up, burn fat, and build muscle mass.
Are Total Home Gyms Effective?
If you use it on a regular basis and in a proper manner, a good-quality home gym will definitely be very effective. Make sure you adjust the machine to suit your height and weight and avoid skipping too many workout days. So, is effective as long as your perseverance and commitment are high.
Are Home Gyms Good for Seniors?
You can always start a healthy daily workout routine, regardless of your age. There are special home gym plans that were created for seniors and their unique needs. So, these devices can be safely used by all people who want to feel good and receive an energy boost.
The Best Total Gym for Home Use – Bottom Line
If you’ve always wanted a home gym but you thought you cannot afford one, think again! Having a home gym device is highly convenient and, after several months, you will start saving money that you would’ve otherwise spent on gym memberships.
One thing you should always remember is that a home gym isn’t necessarily meant to bulk you up. Still, big muscles don’t have to be your final goal if you don’t want to. Home gyms can also be used for many other purposes due to their high level of versatility. You can lose those extra pounds and burn fat while also achieving a leaner figure.
Determine your fitness goal, choose the best total gym for home use you can afford, and start working out.