Last Updated on
Both Vigorfit and Total Gym are great home gym solutions and these two products are highly debated. I have reviewed these two home fitness machines and discovered that their main similarity is the fact that both brands provide all-in-one workout benches. They also have quite similar designs, features, and functionalities.
But let’s go into detail regarding these aspects as well as their differences.
- 1 Main Differences Between Vigorfit vs Total Gym
- 2 Main Features
- 3 Vigorfit vs Total Gym’s Detailed Features
- 4 Vigorfit vs Total Gym Comparison – Pros and Cons
- 5 Why Should You Choose Vigorfit?
- 6 Why Should You Choose Total Gym?
- 7 Vigorfit vs Total Gym Similarities
- 8 Vigorfit vs Total Gym Differences
- 9 FAQs About Vigorfit vs Total Gym
- 10 Vigorfit vs Total Gym Main Alternatives
- 11 Vigorfit vs Total Gym Comparison – Which One Is Better?
Main Differences Between Vigorfit vs Total Gym
The main differences between Vigorfit vs Total Gym are:
- Vigorfit supports 350 pounds, whereas Total Gym supports 400 pounds
- Vigorfit is more affordable, whereas Total Gym has a higher price tag
- Vigorfit offers over 70 levels of resistance, whereas Total Gym only comes with 12 resistance levels
- Vigorfit comes with multiple accessories that allow users to perform a wider range of movements, whereas Total Gym has fewer additional attachments.
Vigorfit comes with the following features:
- Unique folding system;
- 75 different levels of intensity – this is pretty impressive;
- An ergonomic sitting pad;
- A durable frame made of steel;
- Solid company warranty;
- It comes with a user manual that teaches you over 100 different exercises;
- There’s a heavy-duty weight bar completed by metal spring weight clips;
- Users can enjoy the product’s sit-up station and dual leg rope;
- There’s a pull and push-up bar.
Total Gym XLS
The Total Gym XLS series offers the following functionalities:
- Users will enjoy a non-slip stand when they perform their squats;
- It supports up to 400 lbs. which is a little more than the weight limit offered by its competitor;
- The handles feature Nylon straps;
- You can perform more than 80 gym-level exercises;
- Both the pulley system and the cable are very durable.
Vigorfit vs Total Gym’s Detailed Features
Let’s take a closer look at some of the most important features of these two home gym machines. I will detail things such as size, accessories, functionality, and educational resources.
Both these items have pretty similar sizes when the setup is ready for use. There’s a small difference of only three pounds between them:
- Vigorfit has a weight of 80 pounds while Total Gym weighs 83 pounds;
- In terms of their unfolded versions, Total Gym is 18.5 (width) x 93 (height) x 44.5 (depth) inches while Vigorfit measures 19 (width) x 90 (height) x 43 (depth) inches.
When you want to store them away all you have to do is fold them. Both systems have folded sizes that resemble the measurements of a collapsed household ironing board.
Both Total Gym and Vigorfit work based on a pulley system and they rely on the user’s body weight resistance. All these are completed by incline benches. Regarding their functionality, these home gym products offer, more or less, the same benefits.
As far as resistance levels go, Vigorfit is the winner, providing no less than 75 intensity options, whereas his competitor, Total Gym, only has 12 resistance levels. Total Gym users will be able to lift up to a little over 50% of their body weight. At the same time, on the Vigorfit machine, the maximum lift intensity is 72% of one’s body weight.
If you purchase the Vigorfit home gym, here’s what you will find in the package:
- The mainframe with the incline bench
- A toe bar
- Resistance bands
- Power bands
- A pull-up bar
- A squat board
- A push-up bar
If you opt for the Total Gym alternative, all you will get are ankle cuffs, an ab crunch, and a squat stand. So, as you can see, Vigorfit provides significantly more attachments and inclusions which represent a major plus. On the other hand, if you’re willing to spend a little more, all those accessories that Vigorfit offers can also be purchased and used with Total Gym.
Due to its many attachments, with Vigorfit you can perform 107 different exercises. Total Gym enables users to do 80 exercises. However, if you want to buy Total Gym and do more types of movements, you can always pay extra to get additional accessories.
Regardless of the model you want to buy, from these two products, you will still benefit from ongoing educational resources but their form and style differ.
With Vigorfit, users gain online access (via e-mail) to an actual personal trainer. They help clients by sending personalized replies to all their questions that are linked to the way a person should train with this machine or should eat to achieve optimal results.
The package that Total Gym provides contains 6 different DVDs full of useful instructions. In all of them, there’s a personal trainer who appears and explains how to perform the exercises, based on your level of experience, as you progress. Besides these DVDs, you will also get charts and guides that help you keep track of your diet and nutrition.
The Pulley System
Both home gym systems work very similarly. However, their quality and aesthetics are slightly different. Vigorfit uses ropes. This makes the item quite easy to adjust. Total Gym relies on a polished rubber-coated cable made of steel which might be more rigid at first but it is more durable.
By comparison, the rope system can get a tad flimsy at times but Vigorfit’s manufacturer offers a lifetime warranty for their home gym.
Notable Extra Features
There are basic features and some extra ones. Not all of them are the same. Some features stand out more and might be more useful than others. Here are the additional features that each of these home gyms offers and that you should know about.
- The Pilates Kit – contains resistance bands, shoulder pads, ankle cuffs, and a toe bar. All of them, put together, play the role of a Pilates reformer apparatus. The thing I enjoy most is working with the power bands because they allow me to achieve significant extra resistance and perform more intense workouts;
- Virtual Trainer – whether you need to learn the proper way to do a movement or perhaps you need some tips and advice related to your nutritional needs, the company enables users to communicate with a personal trainer via e-mail. When you think that this kind of service usually costs around $100 per hour, you really start to appreciate this particular Vigorfit service.
Total Gym Inclusions
- 6 free instructional DVDs – the company has created these DVDs as learning materials in which the well-known trainer Todd Durkin eases users in doing specific exercises that suit a certain level of experience and a user’s unique needs. You will find a wide range of available levels, from beginner to advanced;
- Other useful materials – guides and charts.
Vigorfit vs Total Gym Comparison – Pros and Cons
These two home workout systems are similar but they also have their own advantages and downsides. Let’s find them out!
- It comes with power bands;
- You will be able to enjoy this product’s Pilates Kits;
- It is a versatile and easily customizable machine;
- There’s a wide range of available exercises that you can perform with it;
- The end-to-end warranty is a major perk;
- It is slightly more affordable than Total Gym machines;
- You can email your questions on a given address and a personal trainer will answer them;
- You will enjoy the bench’s 75 resistance levels;
- The two-inch padding is thick and comfortable.
- The machine’s maximum weight capacity doesn’t exceed 350 pounds which can be a serious drawback;
- There’s no DVD instructional support.
Total Gym Advantages
- You will also receive a very useful nutrition chart;
- Users can add a full Pilates Kit;
- The additional weight capacity definitely comes in handy;
- Clients will also get no less than 6 different DVDs that teach them how to perform different workouts;
- The frame comes with a lifetime warranty;
- You can attach an additional accessory to the bench to perform AbCrunch exercises.
Total Gym Disadvantages
- Compared to Vigorfit, Total Gym is more expensive;
- There are fewer resistance levels;
- It comes with fewer attachments so you will need to purchase some additional ones if you need them.
Why Should You Choose Vigorfit?
You should use this home gym machine if:
- You don’t want to spend a lot of money on this type of product;
- Your weight doesn’t exceed 350 pounds;
- You want to enjoy all the additional attachments;
- You want to work out with more than just 6 resistance levels;
- As a fitness enthusiast, you don’t really need a DVD to guide you through the workout.
Why Should You Choose Total Gym?
People who should purchase Total Gym are those who:
- Would rather buy something from a reputable and trusted company;
- Needs to use DVDs to perform the exercises and keep track of his or her progress;
- Isn’t truly bothered by a small number of resistance levels;
- Likes Vigorfit as well but weighs more than 350 pounds;
- Is happy with fewer attachments or is willing to pay for some extra attachments.
Vigorfit vs Total Gym Similarities
Both these home gyms feature similar designs. In fact, I could find a lot of resembling points and just a few little differences. Here are the main aspects you should consider:
- Both of them are sold fully assembled. There’s only a tiny extra set up required;
- These machines work with an incline level system and a resistance band pulley;
- They offer plenty of effective exercises to perform and both packages include useful videos or instructional manuals;
- Vigorfit and Total Gym are easy to store due to their foldable frames and they don’t occupy a lot of space.
Vigorfit vs Total Gym Differences
Here are the differences that make Vigorfit and Total Gym stand apart from one from the other:
- Price point – this is probably the most important distinction. Usually, Vigorfit is more affordable than Total Gym. Vigorfit is also seen as a cost-effective alternative;
- Attachments, extra accessories, and educational resources – if you completely upgrade the Total Gym system, you will receive more resistance levels and a lot of great additional materials such as training videos and meal plans. Vigorfit’s standard model is, however, more equipped and provides a higher number of attachments and accessories;
- Comfort – Total Gym features a padded pillow that’s placed at the top part of the machine’s glide board. It definitely offers some added comfort. It also comes with adjustable nylon strap handles to protect your palms. By comparison, Vigorfit is a little less comfy;
- Overall quality – Total Gym appears to be slightly sturdier than Vigorfit. On the other hand, Vigorfit has a major advantage: it offers an unconditional lifetime warranty so, the company must truly believe that its product is faultless.
FAQs About Vigorfit vs Total Gym
For Total Gym, the delivery is free all over the United States. From what I know, clients must pay a shipping fee of $54 if they want to purchase Vigorfit. Still, once in a while, the company offers a limited-time option of free deliveries.
Vigorfit provides trial periods although no clients have ever returned their new Vigorfit equipment. The trial period consists of a money-back guarantee that lasts 30 days. The same return and refund policy are applied by Total Gym.
In terms of their warranty, Vigorfit is way better with its lifetime coverage of the entire product. The frame and the parts are all included in the warranty. In the case of Total Gym, only the frame has a lifetime warranty while the parts have a short warranty of only 6 months.
Vigorfit vs Total Gym Main Alternatives
Here are some viable alternatives to Vigorfit and Total Gym:
- Weider Ultimate Body Works – this home gym apparatus has a pulley system and it includes calisthenics as well as resistance cords. It is easy to assemble, resistant, and versatile but you won’t receive an exercise guide and the machine requires more space;
- Bayou Fitness Total Trainer – this bodyweight home-training equipment is quite reliable and its frame is made of high-quality materials. Its weight capacity is about 400 pounds and the package includes certain extras like a push-up bar, a curl press bar, and a heavy-duty squat board;
- AeroPilates Reformer – this is the Plus 379 model that will enable you to perform some serious Pilates workouts at home. It is highly portable and has a durable structure. This machine allows users to do a wide range of exercises but you will need to adjust its straps from time to time;
- TRX Home Suspension Trainer – this type of home workout equipment has become very popular in the last few years. TRX home suspension trainers are considered effective all-in-one machines. This product is lightweight and affordable but its movements are quite challenging.
Vigorfit vs Total Gym Comparison – Which One Is Better?
After looking at all these details presented above, it is more than clear that both Vigorfit and Total Gym have plenty of benefits to offer. Regardless of the model you decide to purchase, you will be able to perform complex workouts that will help you build muscle mass, in complete privacy, in your own home.
Both these products can be stored pretty much the same way and they occupy a similar amount of space. In essence, they come with almost the same functionality so, choosing one or the other isn’t easy. It all depends on your needs, budget, and the brand that you trust the most.