There are almost endless possibilities in the fitness market when you want to choose a home workout product. There are different features and prices and the task of purchasing this kind of item can be daunting. Still, it’s not impossible to find an affordable home gym device that offers useful features and helps you achieve your physical and health goals.
Both Weider and Total Gym are brands that market high-quality products and they’re worth considering. These companies’ workout machines provide enough resistance to tone and challenge your entire body so that you can take your exercising routines to the next level.
- 1 Main Differences between Weider Ultimate Body Works vs Total Gym
- 2 Weider Ultimate Body Works vs Total Gym – What Are They?
- 3 Weider Ultimate Body Works vs Total Gym – Main Features
- 4 Weider Ultimate Body Works vs Total Gym – Pros and Cons
- 5 Weider Ultimate Body Works vs Total Gym – Things They Have in Common
- 6 Weider Ultimate Body Works vs Total Gym – Main Alternatives
- 7 Weider Ultimate Body Works vs Total Gym – Frequently Asked Questions
- 8 Weider Ultimate Body Works vs Total Gym – Bottom Line
Main Differences between Weider Ultimate Body Works vs Total Gym
The Main Differences between Weider Ultimate Body Works vs Total Gym are:
- Weider comes with rollers that rely on highly durable ball bearings which are also sealed, whereas Total Gym products (especially XLS) the rollers are precision bearing ones.
- Weider features painted steel pulleys, whereas Total Gym has pulleys made of chromed steel
- With Weider Ultimate Body Works you can only do a little more than 50 types of exercises (still, both options have a very decent movement range), whereas Total Gym machines allow users to perform a wider range of exercises (over 80 movements in the case of XLS)
- Weider fitness system requires you to assemble it (the process isn’t difficult at all), whereas Total Gym home fitness devices you receive fully-assembled equipment.
Weider Ultimate Body Works vs Total Gym – What Are They?
Weider Ultimate Body Works
The Weider Ultimate Body Works is a home fitness machine designed to provide a total body workout. It will tone both your lower and upper body parts by strengthening muscle mass and boosting flexibility. Owning a home fitness device is very rewarding and the Weider gym system makes no exception.
Weider is another popular and reputable company and its home gym system is well-built which means most users have a great experience using it. When it comes to home gyms, the Ultimate Body Works is the second product of its kind manufactured by Weider.
The first and more traditional one is the Total Body 5000 model. The latest version, Ultimate Body Works, has a different color and it also comes with a few upgrades and novelties.
This machine provides a lot of exercises due to its compact mix of cable and pulley mechanism. It is foldable and adjustable. But, is it better than Total Gym? You’re about to find out!
This is a very popular and reputable brand in the niche of home workout devices. They are among the industry leaders when it comes to their full-body weightless fitness equipment. Total Gym has created and marketed over 10 different home gym systems in the last 15 years.
Celebrities such as Chuck Norris and Christie Brinkley have endorsed this brand. Total Gym has several best-selling models like the following ones:
All the above devices arrive at your doorstep fully assembled and ready to be used. The XLS version provides 6 different resistance levels and its maximum weight capacity is 400 lbs. With it, the user can perform more than 80 exercises.
The Total Gym Fit system offers 12 resistance levels and enables you to do over 85 different movements. Its weight limit is 450 lbs. If you choose to purchase the Supreme model, you get to enjoy 12 levels of resistance. In terms of weight capacity, this equipment is only suitable for users up to 275 lbs.
Total Gym Supreme is the most affordable model of all four versions listed above. There’s also the GTS option that provides an overall superior performance, with a weight limit of a maximum of 650 lbs., and no less than 22 resistance levels. With the GTS device, you can perform 200 exercises.
All four models come with a range of attachments and accessories like padded glide boards, squat stands, a mechanism that works on a cable and pulley combo, nylon strap handles, and head supports.
Weider Ultimate Body Works vs Total Gym – Main Features
Let’s take a closer look at some of the most important functionalities and features that these two home gyms have.
According to many fitness experts, it looks like the Ultimate Body Works system was created to mimic the Total Gym device. It’s not really a replica or plagiarism but more of a start-up point that works in favor of Total Gym by acknowledging the idea that this is a truly remarkable home gym tool.
What makes Total Gym stand out and gives it an excellent competitive advantage over Weider is its adjustable height platforms and they function on a pulley mechanism. Adjusting the stand’s height will help users lower or boost the intensity and resistance level of a certain exercise.
Besides that aspect, the two machines have several common features. However, I must confess that the way Total Gym functions seems better to me than the Weider device. Total Gym allows you to perform a wider range of movements and it handles a higher number of weights.
On the other hand, Weider with a higher level of versatility but still, in my opinion, Total Gym wins the race when it comes to functionality.
2. Weight Capacity
Believe it or not, users who weigh more will benefit more from using any of these home gym systems. Both products have pretty decent weight capacity limits. The Ultimate Body Works by Weider can be used by people who weigh up to 250 lbs.
When it comes to Total Gym, however, the weight capacity varies based on your chosen model. The basic version offers a lower weight limit of only 275 lbs. while other models can support a weight of a maximum of 650 lbs. which is impressive.
The middle-priced Total Gym apparatus comes with a weight capacity of 400-450 lbs. So, as you can see, even if you purchase the most affordable model from Total Gym, you will still receive a higher capacity compared to Weider. At the same time, Weider’s price point justifies its lower weight limit.
So, here, there’s no real winner. It depends a lot on what your budget and preferences are.
3. Number of Available Exercises
One of the major points that every potential buyer considers is how many different exercises he or she can do using a specific home gym machine. With Weider, you can perform over 50 exercises, whereas those who purchase a Total Gym device will enjoy approximately 80 different movements.
On the other hand, the most basic Total Gym model comes with 6 available resistance levels, whereas Weider provides 7 resistance levels. Obviously, if your budget allows it, you can buy the medium-priced or the top-tier model from Total Gym. The medium one offers 12 resistance modes while the most complex version has no less than 22 levels.
One thing worth mentioning is the fact that all Total Gym devices arrive fully assembled so you can unpack and start using them. The Weider home gym requires some assembling although the process isn’t difficult.
So, when we speak about available exercises and the way the product is received by buyers, Total Gym wins the battle once more. I believe that from all Total Gym versions, the XLS model is the best due to its complexity and versatility created and boosted by its numerous attachments that are included in the package.
Total Gym XLS, for instance, comes with a ribbed squat stand for a better grip when you use it. Also, you can purchase many other individual accessories to attach to your Total Gym device that will help you target all your body’s muscle groups.
Next up, let’s discuss warranty policies. Unfortunately, Weider offers a weak warranty policy of only 90 days on both labor and parts. Total Gym steps up with its 6-month warranty on the device’s parts while the frame comes with a lifetime warranty. This is pretty amazing.
Lastly, we should talk a little about the price of these products. This is the only department in which Weider wins by beating Total Gym. A good-quality home gym that sells for a maximum of $150 represents a great purchase, especially if you don’t plan to use the device on a daily basis.
By comparison, Total Gym’s most sophisticated and complex home gym model costs 10 times more than the basic version created by Weider. Simply put, no matter how much better a product is in terms of functionality and accessories, for some people, the most important aspect remains the price of the device.
Weider Ultimate Body Works vs Total Gym – Brief Comparison of Their Parameters
I’ve chosen to compare the Weider Ultimate Body Works with the Total Gym XLS model because the XLS apparatus is the company’s best-selling product and its recommended starting model. The criteria I’ve included focuses on functionality, weight limit, features, height limit, design, resistance levels, and product warranty.
|Parameters||Weider Ultimate Body Works||Total Gym XLS|
|Available exercises||50 exercises||Over 80 exercises|
|Max. user weight capacity||250 lbs.||400 lbs.|
|Included DVDs||No DVDs||5 DVDs|
|Unit weight||77 lbs.||82 lbs.|
|Included attachments||Some basic attachments||Three attachments|
|Unfolded dimensions||26.5″ x 71″ x 49.5″ (larger)||19″ x 90″ x 43″ (more compact)|
|Warranty||90 days||One year|
|Amazon customer rating||4.5 out of 5 ✰||4.6 out of 5 ✰|
Weider Ultimate Body Works vs Total Gym – Pros and Cons
Pros and cons are factors you should always take into consideration before purchasing an item, including a home gym system.
Weider Ultimate Body Works Advantages
- The Body Works device from Weider is easy to store due to its foldable frame;
- The package contains useful accessories such as 4 resistance bands, each with its own difficulty level that will help you make the most out of your workout sessions;
- There’s a 360-degree ball bearing mechanism on the frame’s pulley system that allows a wider motion range that targets numerous muscle groups;
- This equipment is highly versatile. With it, you can perform no less than 70 exercises;
- It’s a great choice for Pilates lovers due to the board’s seven incline levels;
- It works relatively quietly because it is a weightless device.
Weider Ultimate Body Works Disadvantages
- It might be an issue for very tall people because, when completely extended, the machine measures 79 inches in length.
- Its weight capacity is more limited than other fitness machines: 250 lbs. which translates into 113 kg.
- It folds flat but the length still remains pretty long so you’ll need a space that’s long or big enough to fit the equipment.
- If you want to do serious professional-style bodybuilding, this tool isn’t enough to build resistance and muscle mass.
Total Gym Advantages
- The machines made by Total Gym have sturdy and durable frames.
- These home workout systems are easy to use.
- They don’t require any assembling.
- Working out with Total Gym devices is very comfortable.
- They are effective and they tone your entire body.
- The boards offer a smooth glide.
- Total Gym machines are easy to store because they are foldable.
- All four models operate quietly.
Total Gym Disadvantages
- Total Gym equipment is more expensive compared to other similar products.
- Even though these machines are complex and very expensive, they might not be the perfect choice for some who’s serious about going on the path of bodybuilding.
- You can find more affordable machines on the market that also offer a good price-quality ratio and allow you to engage in effective cardio workout programs.
Weider Ultimate Body Works vs Total Gym – Things They Have in Common
Although these products are different and created by separate manufacturers, they still have a few things in common:
- Both these brands offer products that have durable frames made of good-quality and sturdy steel.
- The handles of these machines are coated with soft rubber that provides comfort and a good grip.
- Their gliding bench or board is created from durable plastic and covered in vinyl that’s resistant to both wear and sweat.
- The cables are also made of steel and wrapped in vinyl.
Weider Ultimate Body Works vs Total Gym – Main Alternatives
Here’s a brief list of some of the best alternatives to both Weider and Total Gym home fitness tools:
Vigorfit – this home gym has a weight capacity of 350 pounds and it is pretty affordable. It has more than 70 resistance levels and the package contains multiple accessories. It’s foldable which makes it very easy to store and the warranty policy of the manufacturer is bulletproof.
Plus 379 AeroPilates Reformer
Plus 379 AeroPilates Reformer – those of you, who have visited the local Pilates studio, will certainly recognize this machine. The frame is created from long-lasting steel and the cable system resembles the one of a rowing machine. This AeroPilates tool is versatile and affordable and it doesn’t require any assembly.
TRX Suspension Training
TRX Home2 – this suspension trainer comes with numerous cords that are all easy to connect to a wide range of places around your house. The system is affordable and with it, you can perform nearly 40 different exercises. The lack of a bench might represent a downside for some.
BodyBoss 2.0 – this is a portable home gym device that consists of plenty of interesting attachments such as handles, resistance bands, a collapsible resistance bar, and others. You can even do your workouts when you’re traveling. It has a portable design and trains your whole body but it doesn’t have any cardio features.
Weider Ultimate Body Works vs Total Gym – Frequently Asked Questions
Answer: In my opinion and after browsing through all the reviews I could find, the best Total Gym model is the XLS one. Of all Total Gym machines, the XLS is the most versatile option because it allows users to perform a wide range of workout types, from cardio and strength training to Pilates, yoga, and stretching.
Answer: Yes, of course. All home gym devices made by Total Gym can help you grow muscle mass as long as you use the proper resistance level that challenges your body. If the exercise feels too easy, just increase the difficulty level of the machine.
Answer: The XLS model comes with several useful accessories: a ribbed squat stand, 2 ankle cuffs, a wing attachment, and a leg-pull accessory. All these items will only enhance the overall experience of using Total Gym XLS and they will help you tone your entire body.
Weider Ultimate Body Works vs Total Gym – Bottom Line
Both Weider and Total Gym are reputable brands that market very good home gym systems. Weider Ultimate Body Works is better for beginners or for those who don’t want to spend a lot of money. But, if your budget allows it, I would always opt for one of the Total Gym machines because they are, according to many, more effective and sturdier.