It’s never too late to change your lifestyle and start to work out on a regular basis. Exercising regularly will improve the way you look, but more importantly, will improve your health. If you’re anything like me, you hate going to the gym and would rather do your routine at home.
For those people like you and me, there are these amazing and effective at-home gym systems such as Tonal Gym which is a highly popular choice. The Tonal machine received plenty of positive reviews but you may also want to know what other alternatives are there?! Well, today’s article is all about the best alternatives to Tonal Gym.
- 1 Tonal Gym – Quick Brand Review
- 2 Tonal Gym Alternatives – Top 8 Choices
- 3 1. Bowflex Revolution
- 4 2. Mirror Home Gym
- 5 3. NordicTrack Fusion CST
- 6 4. Peloton Bike
- 7 5. Echelon Reflect Touch
- 8 6. Peloton Treadmill
- 9 7. Tempo Home Gym
- 10 8. NordicTrack Vault Mirror
- 11 Tonal Gym Alternatives – Frequently Asked Questions
- 12 Tonal Gym Alternatives – Final Thoughts
Tonal Gym – Quick Brand Review
Tonal Gym is a great digital weight machine that comes with adjustable arms. You can mount this equipment on one of your home’s walls. The system uses electrical power and its maximum resistance level is 200 lbs. So, basically, you will have a whole gym placed on your house wall.
At first, Tonal Gym will assess your body’s current strength state. From there, it will further recommend certain types of movements and exercises that are suitable for your needs. You will have to gradually increase the weight and the machine’s resistance if you want to enjoy continuous progress.
Pros of Tonal Gym
This machine is adaptive so it will easily suit each user’s weaknesses and strengths. Most customers appreciate the fact that all the adjustments are done automatically instead of manually. The equipment simply perceives the user’s ability.
Other reviewers have also pointed out how well Tonal Gym tracks its progress. Therefore, you won’t need to write down or remember what weight to use next to make your exercises more effective.
Cons of Tonal Gym
A few complaints were made regarding the company’s customer service. It seems that customer support replies can arrive a tad late and even then, they might tell a client that the issue cannot be resolved. A couple of other users said that Tonal Gym arrived after the estimated shipping date.
One important downside is the lack of live classes because you won’t be able to be monitored by a personal trainer. That’s important, especially when it comes to your form and posture.
Tonal Gym Alternatives – Top 8 Choices
Before making a purchasing decision, you must first understand the technology behind each of the following fitness machines for home use. Don’t forget to compare them in terms of functionalities, pros, cons, reviews, and prices. Before getting started, I just wanted to mention that the products described below were listed in no particular order.
1. Bowflex Revolution
Bowflex Revolution is a highly effective and popular home gym option that many fitness enthusiasts love to try and use. If you’re too busy to go to the gym and you want to work out at your own pace and in your own time, the Bowflex Revolution machine could be the ideal choice for you.
With this product, you will tone your entire body by engaging all major muscle groups due to the system’s integrated cables. This device focuses on your abs, shoulders, chest, arms, and legs. The seat is adjustable and it is cushioned for increased support and comfort.
- It has a compact structure and it’s easy to store when you’re not using it;
- It works and tones all the areas of your body and the workout sessions can be really fun and engaging;
- This product comes with a great warranty length of no less than 10 years.
- Despite its compact frame, you cannot store this item if your apartment or studio is very tiny;
- It is an expensive home gym machine.
2. Mirror Home Gym
The Mirror Home Gym is exactly that, a full-length mirror that you mount on your wall and use every day to see not only the clothes you’re wearing but also follow exercising routines and live fitness classes such as strength training, Pilates, cardio, and yoga. All the workouts displayed on the mirror are fun and suitable for everybody, from beginners to more experienced athletes.
You must install the app on your phone to be able to access all those on-demand fitness classes that you wish to follow. Mirror Home Gym has a built-in camera that scans your body but it doesn’t record personal information such as your body features. The purpose of this functionality is to create a digital version of your body.
- The device allows you to listen to your favorite songs while working out;
- It tracks how many calories you burn during the training sessions;
- The design will easily blend in any type of room because it’s seamless;
- You will be able to choose from a wide range of workouts;
- It comes with a large library of classes so that you don’t get bored.
- It is a pretty expensive home gym device;
- There’s no touchscreen;
- You won’t receive any feedback from Mirror (something that Tonal Gym offers);
- There aren’t any weights included in the package.
3. NordicTrack Fusion CST
You may think NordicTrack Fusion CST is just your regular functional trainer but this device comes with a very modern hi-tech twist due to its iFit compatibility. This fitness machine effectively combines studio classes led by professional trainers with strength training. It is similar to Peloton but Fusion CST also has resistance training.
It is a great fitness system because it lets you do a wide range of exercises and movements due to its cable structure. The device is also safe to use but you should always read the safety instructions to make sure you work out properly on it.
- The frame is sturdy and made for heavy-duty purposes;
- It comes with 6 different and independent pulleys;
- You can switch between 20 magnetic resistance levels;
- It is compatible with the iFit app;
- There’s a 10-inch tablet included in the package;
- The frame features an adjustable stand where you can place the tablet;
- You will also receive several accessories like two ankle straps and six handles;
- There’s a chest strap that works on Bluetooth to keep track of your heart rate.
- You cannot adjust the pulleys;
- The warranty policy isn’t the greatest;
- If you want to use this machine for heavy strength training, you will probably find the magnetic resistance unsuited.
4. Peloton Bike
The Peloton Bike is one of the most popular products of its kind. It is a great device if you’re into home training and indoor cycling. This high-end bike features a tablet with a wide touchscreen of 21.5 inches. On that screen, you can follow live sessions as well as on-demand classes.
Peloton has a huge community of over 4.4 million members. The design of the bike is sleek and the frame is well-built. You can easily adjust it to your liking. The handles have two types of adjustments so you will be able to rotate them out if you want. You will also love the pedals and the flywheel because they work smoothly.
- It is a very convenient home fitness device;
- You can make all kinds of adjustments;
- In the long term, you will save a lot of money with this bike instead of paying a monthly gym membership;
- You will have access to numerous classes and a variety of trainers;
- It suits people of all fitness levels;
- This device is amazing especially if you want to maintain your body condition or do cardio workouts.
- Upfront, this can be a significant investment because the bike doesn’t come cheap;
- You will also have to subscribe if you want to receive all the benefits that come with this bike;
- It isn’t the perfect choice if you want to boost muscle mass in your upper body.
5. Echelon Reflect Touch
Echelon Reflect Touch comes with an impressive 50-inch display screen. This smart mirror will make you feel like you’re working out alongside professional trainers. Besides its interactive touchscreen, the machine also has a good camera that faces the front. Other features that are worth mentioning are the equipment’s heart rate monitor, speakers, and Bluetooth connectivity.
Echelon will provide you with very motivational exercising schemes that will make your blood pumping and body moving even when you don’t really want to get out of bed. You will gain access to hundreds of workout videos and numerous workout techniques such as yoga, Pilates, cardio, and boxing strength training.
- All the on-demand classes are simply excellent;
- It comes with a leader board that will motivate you;
- You can connect your headphones to this smart mirror due to its Bluetooth feature so you can listen to your favorite music playlist while working out.
- It doesn’t come with gym equipment;
- You cannot fast-forward or rewind the classes;
- If the room in which you have placed this smart mirror is too bright, you might have issues viewing the screen.
6. Peloton Treadmill
Peloton Tread is the first treadmill marketed by the company. It has many great features and the construction is very sturdy. The screen shows everything in a clear way and the interface is user-friendly. The price may scary some of you, but, according to most users, the product is worth it.
Peloton Tread is great for those who want to improve their endurance. If you like running and jogging, you will love this machine, especially when you will feel how soft your feet land on the treadmill’s deck.
- It has a rugged design that is both cool and unique;
- You will enjoy the treadmill’s large screen where you can clearly see all the things that happen during a workout session;
- The console has a sleek design and its buttons have a minimalistic look;
- All the content featured on the screen is engaging and it will keep you motivated;
- It has Bluetooth connectivity;
- It tracks your metrics in a precise manner;
- The deck is very long so you will have a lot of running space.
- It is an expensive fitness product;
- The lack of a down jump button might be a problem for some people;
- The slat belts are made of rubber but the deck lacks proper cushioning;
- Peloton Tread is a heavy treadmill.
7. Tempo Home Gym
Tempo Studio is an easel-shaped smart gym for home use that’s very popular among fitness aficionados. It has a robust structure and it’s made of premium materials. Tempo Studio brings a lot of benefits such as a wide variety of exercising gear that comes in the same package as the machine.
Its affordable price is another important perk that will make you happy with this gym system. It even has a storage area where you can keep your accessories. Besides the main frame, you will also get two dumbbells, six collars, 16 weight plates, one foam roller, and a 25-pound barbell.
- All people, regardless of their fitness experience, can safely and easily use this machine;
- It is recommended by professional trainers with a lot of experience in the fitness industry;
- You will have access to a huge database of both on-demand and live workout classes.
- At first, it may seem like an affordable product but, when you also consider the required monthly membership fee, your opinion might change and perceive this as a more expensive fitness machine;
- Those of you who deal with slow Internet speed might have problems using Tempo Studio.
8. NordicTrack Vault Mirror
This stylish NordicTrack fitness mirror is lightweight and has all the functionalities you need to build muscle and transform your body. The 60-inch Vault mirror is top-notch gym and fitness equipment. You will be able to keep yourself updated with all the latest fitness classes provided through this system.
There are many available on-demand classes that you can follow and all of them can be seen on the machine’s 32-inch HD touchscreen. The Vault mirror also allows users to keep their fitness equipment and accessories securely stored in integrated storage space.
The device is delivered together with an exercise mat, dumbbells, yoga blocks, built-in speakers, resistance bands, and 20-30 pound kettlebells.
- It is suitable for everyone, including beginners;
- This home gym is fun and entertaining so you will never get bored;
- The user interface is very easy to manage and intuitive.
- Compared to other similar products, NordicTrack Vault Mirror is pretty expensive.
Tonal Gym Alternatives – Frequently Asked Questions
Question: Is a Smart Home Fitness Device as Effective as Going to the Gym?
Answer: It depends on several aspects. Are you ready to commit and prioritize your workouts? Working out at home and using a smart fitness machine is normally more convenient than paying for a gym membership. It takes less effort and time to exercise on a smart home system.
You will have full control over your workout routines and you will do that in the privacy and comfort of your own home. But you will need to find your inner motivation to keep going; this kind of motivation is easier to find when you’re exercising alongside other people at the gym.
Question: What Types of Home Fitness Machines Should You Use for Strength Training?
Answer: Home gym systems such as Tempo and Tonal are very good for strength training purposes. Tonal Gym is the best choice for people who prefer to mount the device on their wall because it doesn’t occupy a lot of space and it comes with amazing resistance capabilities.
Question: What Is the Best Smart Home Gym Device for Cardio Workouts?
Answer: I must confess that I’m not a fan of cardio workouts because I’m more into isometric exercises but those of you who love cardio movements should know that this type of workout involves techniques that are different from the ones required in strength training.
For that reason, smart home gyms such as Echelon or Mirror are the best alternatives for high-energy cardio workouts.
Tonal Gym Alternatives – Final Thoughts
Tonal Gym is a very good option when it comes to smart home fitness machines. However, if you still want to browse the market for some of its alternatives, all the products mentioned above are worthy of your consideration. Just make sure you know your goals and your fitness level of experience before choosing one or the other.
I personally would love to purchase the Mirror home gym because it simply fascinates me the way it changes from being a regular mirror to a full screen where you can watch your favorite live and on-demand workout classes.