- ProForm Vue Alternatives Guide - July 18, 2022
- Best Mirror Workout Classes for People Who Like to Work Out at Home - July 5, 2022
- Mirror vs Ergatta Compared - July 5, 2022
A National Health Statistics Report released in 2021 revealed that obesity prevalence in the US increased from 30.5% to 41.9% between 2017 and 2020. In 2019, the estimated medical cost of obesity in the US was $173 billion. Such statistics are worrying, with the number of obese adults and children rising steadily each year.
As our society becomes more health-conscious, finding ways to get fit and stay healthy is crucial. Note that keeping fit goes beyond eating healthy and working out regularly; it also includes finding the proper workout routine that fits your needs and goals.
Founded in 2016, Lululemon-owned Mirror is a high-tech home gym that offers interactive, full-body workouts. It’s a connected device that gives you access to live and on-demand fitness classes and personalized exercises, all from the comfort of your home.
To better help you understand what Mirror is and how it can benefit your fitness journey, I’ve put together a comprehensive guide covering everything from the best Mirror workout classes to features that make this home gym stand out.
Bottom Line Up Front
Mirror offers thousands of workout classes, making it an attractive alternative to a traditional gym membership. The device features a sleek design, a wide range of content, and interactive functionality, making it one of the best home gyms on the market. Family Fun is the best overall Mirror workout class because it’s all-inclusive and is excellent for all fitness levels.
List of Best Mirror Workout Classes
Below are the best Mirror workout classes based on my research:
- Family Fun
- Strength: Total body
- Cardio + strength
- Restorative yoga
What’s Mirror, and How Does It Work?
When turned off, Mirror is essentially a full-length mirror. However, powering it on turns the reflective surface into an HD screen that streams live and on-demand fitness classes. The design is sleek and modern, with a minimalist aesthetic that fits well with any home décor.
You can opt to mount it on the wall or place it on a stand, depending on your preference. Mirror is a connected device meaning it requires an internet connection to function. Once it’s up, you can create a profile and start working out.
However, you need to pay for a membership first, which costs $39 per month. Membership gives you access to Mirror’s content, including a library of more than 10,000 classes on-demand, live classes, and more than 50 genres of workouts. You also get access to some of the world’s best instructors, who’ll guide and motivate you through your workout.
Mirror offers four packages exclusive of membership charges. Packages vary in price, depending on the number and type of accessories included. Below are the four packages offered by Mirror.
- The Mirror: $1,295 or as low as $32 per month
- Mirror Essentials: $1,495 or as low as $36 per month
- Mirror Pro: $1,595 or as low as $38 per month
- Mirror Family: $1,845 or as low as $43 per month
Once you buy a package, you own the Mirror and all its accessories. The only exception is membership, which is a monthly subscription. Membership gives access to unlimited content for up to six profiles.
Best Mirror Workout Classes
Of the more than 10,000 on-demand classes available, we’ve analyzed and come up with the best Mirror workout classes based on the type of workout, instructor, and user reviews.
1. Family Fun
Nothing beats quality family time, especially when the intention is to keep fit and have fun. That’s precisely what you get with the Family Fun Workout. The 15 to 60-minute workouts ensure your family enjoys quality time while staying active.
The instructor-led classes feature a mix of cardio and strength, ballet, dance, yoga, and boxing. Moreover, these workouts are non-competitive and inclusive, making them ideal for all family members regardless of their fitness levels.
The different exercises provide a full-body workout, while the short duration means you won’t have to spend hours in the gym. You can join other families in the class or have a private session with your family.
Family Fun classes give access to top-tier instructors like Deja R, a former dancer for Beyoncé, Britney Spears, Katy Perry, and Pink. You can also opt for Rachel N Family Fun classes, Pilin A, Julie S, Gerren L, Amanda R, and Chris R. These instructors have years of experience teaching family fun workouts.
Family Fun Pros
- It’s all-inclusive, making it excellent for all fitness levels
- It’s a great way to bond with your family as you stay active and have fun
- The workouts are short, so you won’t have to spend hours in the gym
- Has many instructors to choose from, all with years of experience teaching family fun workouts
- Children-friendly content
Family Fun Cons
- It might be challenging to get everyone in the family to participate
- You need to have enough space at home to accommodate the workout
- Only suitable for adults and children below the age of 12 years
Building muscles requires determination, consistency, and hard work. However, you don’t have to sacrifice all your free time to achieve desired results. The Strength: Total Body Workout class is an excellent way to tone your muscles and build strength without spending hours in the gym.
The classes are 15 to 50 minutes long and mainly target your abs, back, legs, chest, and arms. The workouts are a perfect blend of cardio and strength, which means you’ll build muscles and improve your endurance. Accessories you’ll need for these classes include Dumbbells and kettlebells. You can spice it up with a weight vest for more intensity.
The class is available on-demand, and you can follow along with the instructor or other users. The beauty of working out at home is that you can take as many breaks as possible without feeling guilty. You can also increase or reduce the weight to suit your needs.
Strength: Total Body Workout is available for beginners and experts. The former are advised to start with low weights and increase gradually as they get used to the workouts. On the other hand, experienced users can go all out and push their limits.
Instructors available for this class include Rachel N, Armond J, Katie B, Lance P, Deja R, Xtina J, and Julie S. You also opt for the prowess of Hollis T, Gerren L, and Ahstain R.
Strength: Total Body Pros
- It’s an excellent way to tone your muscles and build strength
- Combining cardio and strength in one workout provides full-body benefits
- Users can use different weights to suit their needs
- It’s available for both beginners and experienced users
- Varied instructors to choose from
Strength: Total Body Cons
- You need to have access to weights, which might be expensive for some people
- It can be challenging to stay motivated when working out alone
- Some exercises can be too intense for beginners
Cardio + Strength is a perfect class if you want to improve your cardiovascular health and build muscles. The workouts combine cardio exercises and strength training, so you’ll get the best of both worlds. By combining traditional cardio exercises with strength training, you’ll torch more calories and achieve desired results in a shorter time.
Training available in this class includes HIIT and resistance training. HIIT involves short bursts of intense exercises followed by periods of rest. This training is an excellent way to burn more calories and improve cardiovascular health. Resistance training, on the other hand, helps you build muscles and tone your body.
These classes are 15 to 60 minutes long and target your entire body. The workouts are ideal for all fitness levels and don’t necessarily require any equipment. However, you can use weights and other accessories to increase the intensity of your workout.
Cardio + Strength classes are available on-demand, which means you can follow along with the instructor or other users at your own pace. Expert instructors available for these classes include Rachel N, Katie B, Lance P, Deja R, Xtina J, and Gerren L.
Cardio + Strength Pros
- It’s an excellent way to improve cardiovascular health and build muscles
- The workouts are ideal for all fitness levels
- HIIT training is an excellent way to burn more calories
- You don’t need any equipment to get started
- Classes are available on-demand
- Gives access to expert instructors
Cardio + Strength Cons
- Some people might find HIIT training too intense
- The fast-paced interval classes may not be suitable for people with certain health conditions
- Repetitive cardio exercises may cause the body to acclimate, which can lead to a plateau
Pilates is a low-impact workout that helps you build strength, flexibility, and coordination. The exercises focus on your core muscles, which means you’ll work your abs, back, and glutes. Pilates is an excellent way to tone your muscles, improve posture, and reduce stress.
Pilates classes are 15 to 60 minutes long and available on-demand and in real-time. By following along with the instructor, you’ll perfect your form and achieve desired results. The class is ideal for all fitness levels, and you don’t need equipment to start.
Mirror allows you to perfect your roll-up, teaser, and sidekick with the help of professional instructors. Instructors available for Pilates classes include Patricia S and Julie S. Both instructors have years of experience and will help you achieve desired results.
- The low-impact workouts are ideal for people with injuries or chronic pain
- If you want to focus on your core muscles, this is the class for you
- Pilates can help improve posture and reduce stress, especially if you have a desk job
- The expert instructors will help you perfect your form
- It doesn’t require props or equipment
- If you want a high-intensity workout, this might not be the best class for you
- Only two instructors are available for this type of class
Restorative yoga is a slow-paced type of yoga that focuses on relaxation. The exercises focus on opening your muscles and releasing tension through passive stretching. This type of yoga is an excellent way to reduce stress, improve flexibility, and perfect your breathing.
It emphasizes the meditative and calming aspects of yoga while still providing a workout. The class is available on-demand, and you can follow along with the instructor or other users. Although it doesn’t require that you have any equipment, you can use props to perfect your form. Accessories such as yoga blocks, bolsters, and straps can help you achieve desired results.
Restorative yoga classes are 15 to 60 minutes long, and you don’t need any experience to join. The class is ideal for all fitness levels, and you can follow along with the instructor or other users. Expert instructors available for these classes include Rachel N, Pilin A, and Patricia S.
Restorative Yoga Pros
- The class is an excellent way to reduce stress and improve flexibility
- It doesn’t require that you have any equipment, but you may need a yoga block, bolster, and strap to perfect your form
- The class is available on-demand
- Some of the best instructors are available for this type of class
- Perfect class for stress relief and relaxation
Restorative Yoga Cons
- The class might be too slow-paced for some people
- Limited instructors for this class
Kickboxing is a high-intensity cardio workout that helps you build strength and coordination. The training combines punches, kicks, and other boxing movements to tone your muscles and improve cardiovascular health. Kickboxing strengthens your core, legs, arms, and back at once.
Expect your body to move a lot during a kickboxing class. As such, you’ll likely sweat a lot and get your heart rate up. Kickboxing exercises are perfect, especially if you want to build endurance and stamina. If you want to burn calories and tone your muscles, kickboxing is the workout for you.
The classes are 15 to 60 minutes long, and you can follow along with the instructor or other users. The class is ideal for all fitness levels, and you don’t need equipment to start. If you intend to use equipment, you should use gloves and wraps to protect your hands and feet.
Unlike other workouts, you’ll need a lot of energy and space to do kickboxing. As such, it’s best to do this workout in the morning or afternoon when you have more energy. Kickboxing experts available on the app include Armond J and Deja R. Their background in fitness makes them the perfect instructors for this high-intensity workout.
- Available for beginners and experts alike
- Exciting and engaging class with excellent instructors
- You don’t need equipment to start, but you may use gloves and wraps for protection
- The class can help you build strength and coordination
- It’s a great workout to tone your muscles and improve cardiovascular health
- Highly energetic and perfect for burning calories
- Some people may find the class too intense
- It may not be suitable for seniors or people with injuries
- You’ll need a lot of energy and space to do kickboxing
- Only two instructors are available for this type of class
Dance is a great way to get your heart rate up and have fun simultaneously. You can burn calories, tone your muscles, and improve your coordination through dance. Whether you’re a beginner or an experienced dancer, there’s a class for you. With Mirror, you can choose from various dance genres, including Latin, hip-hop, and Bollywood.
Depending on the type of dance, you may need props such as light weights, yoga mats, or resistance bands. Some classes may require that you wear special shoes. For example, if you’re taking a Latin dance class, you should wear comfortable shoes that won’t slip.
Fast-paced dances like cardio dances are excellent for getting your heart rate up and burning calories. If you want to tone your muscles, try a dance with props such as weights or resistance bands. Dance classes on Mirror are 15 to 60 minutes long. While you don’t need the experience to join, having some level of coordination will help you follow along.
Deja’s experience as a former dancer makes her the perfect instructor for these classes. Other experts available on Mirror include Lonnie P, Jule S, Amanda R, and Ashtain R. The app offers a wide range of dance classes, so you’re sure to find one perfect for you.
- Extremely fun and engaging
- Offered for all levels of experience, from beginner to expert
- Doesn’t require any equipment
- Users can learn something new while getting a workout
- Varied dance genres offered
- Requires space if you want to move around
- Some dance genres may require props or special shoes
- You need a certain level of coordination to follow along
- Some genres may not be available on demand
Other Mirror Workout Classes to Consider
Suppose the above classes don’t sound like the right fit for you. In that case, you can try plenty of other workout classes available on Mirror. These include:
- Pre + Postnatal: These classes are designed for pregnant women or those who have recently given birth. The workouts are gentle and help you stay in shape during pregnancy or post-pregnancy.
- Barre: Barre is a type of workout that combines elements of ballet, Pilates, and yoga. It helps improve your posture and flexibility while toning your muscles. Ballet classes focus on low-impact exercises, which are perfect for beginners.
- Stretch: Before and after your workout, it’s important to stretch. Mirror offers various stretching classes that help improve your flexibility and reduce the risk of injury.
- Yoga: Yoga is a type of exercise that helps improve your flexibility, strength, and balance. Mirror offers various yoga classes, including restorative yoga and power yoga.
- Ballet: Ballet is a type of dance that helps improve your posture, flexibility, and balance. Mirror offers ballet classes for all levels, from beginner to expert.
- Pilates: Pilates is an exercise that helps improve your core strength and posture. Mirror offers various Pilates classes, including mat Pilates and reformer Pilates.
- Tai chi: The best tai chi workout classes focus on slow, controlled movements. Tai chi is a great way to reduce stress and improve balance. Mirror tai chi instructors focus on proper form and technique.
Mirror Features that Make it Stand Out
Mirror offers a unique workout experience that’s unlike any other. The app is designed to help you reach your fitness goals, whether you want to lose weight, tone your muscles, or improve your flexibility.
Below are features that make Mirror stand out from other workout apps:
- Sleek design: The Mirror is a sleek, stylish device that looks great in any home. It doesn’t take up much space, and you can easily mount it on the wall to save even more space.
- Interactive workouts: Mirror comes with a 5mp camera and microphone that allow you to interact with your instructor and other class members. The camera also allows your instructor to see and correct your form.
- Motivating instructors: Mirror only hires the best instructors to lead its workout classes. All of the instructors are certified and have years of experience.
- Personalized workouts: You can customize your workout routine to fit your goals and schedule. By considering your fitness level, the app can suggest workout classes and give you feedback on your progress.
- Performance metrics: The app tracks your metrics, such as heart rate, calories burned, and distance covered. This feature allows you to see your progress and set new goals.
- Thousands of workout classes and categories: With Mirror, you’ll never get bored with your workout routine. The app offers a wide range of workout classes and categories, so you can find the perfect one.
Question: Can you use the Mirror without a subscription?
Answer: Before using the Mirror, you must pay a membership fee of $39 per month. This fee gives you access to the app’s features, including workout classes, performance tracking, and personalization. Without the subscription, Mirror is nothing more than a regular mirror.
Question: Can the Mirror instructors see you?
Answer: Mirror features a 5MP camera and microphone that allow you to interact with your instructor and other class members. The camera also allows your instructor to see and correct your form. Investing in the right accessories makes sure that your instructor gets a good view of your workout.
Question: What workouts does the Mirror offer?
Answer: Mirror offers a variety of workout classes, including strength training, cardio, Pilates, yoga, and Latin dance. The numerous class options allow you to find a workout that fits your needs and interests. Some of the best Mirror workout classes are detailed below.